The Outdoor Experience
is a hands on pilot program bringing
Clairemont area schools resources for learning outside.
- We choose three area schools to work with each year, coordinating with parents, district maintenance staff, principals, PTA and students to create a lasting program.
- Update/ and or build garden boxes for each of the three schools.
- Create an outdoor classroom on campus using a landscape design which includes site development, planting regionally specific native plants, installing natural seating (boulders, stumps), decomposed granite and mulch.
- We work with the Garden Collaborative, a group of leaders in gardening and nutrition including SD Master Gardeners, Resource Conservation District (RCD), UCSD School of Nutrition, San Diego Unified School District.
- Each school receives two Professional Development 1 1/2 hour long presentations for site teachers, which include hands on activities, guidance on outdoor classroom management, gardening basics, Food 101 and specific NGSS-aligned grade level curriculum.
- Tecolote Nature Center and SD Children and Nature are our two biggest allies in working to get students outside in nature. We partner closely with TNC and the Escape Program, getting as many students in the Clairemont Area into the canyons with naturalists.
We believe that with the environments that we create on campus, along with student participation in outdoor programs at Tecolote Nature Center, we can help to foster a better understanding of our natural world, stewardship of our local natural spaces and resources, and instill a sense of wonder and curiosity, leading to meaningful learning.
Our commitment to piloting schools is ongoing maintenance for 3 years after planting, until the Outdoor Classroom is established and filling in.
Toler Elementary School
Holmes Elementary School